The idea here is to eat this spread like you would egg salad – sans eggs. This is a full-on vegan version. A jar of State Fair Bread and Butter pickles is really what motivated me in combination with wanting to get creative with the last few vestiges of the first week’s CSA: a small bunch of arugula, some radishes and green onions. The cool salad makes an easy and refreshing summer meal.
- 6-8 small radishes, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet pickles, finely chopped
- 4-6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. yellow mustard seed
- 1 cup arugula, finely chopped
- lime, juiced
- 4 cups cooked garbanzo beans, smashed or pulsed in food processor
Chop the radishes and sprinkle with salt in mixing bowl. Next add chopped pickles, green onions, arugula, lime juice, garbanzo beans and 1 Tbs. olive oil. Mix well.
Heat another Tbs. of olive oil in a sauce pan. Add the mustard seeds and toast until they begin to pop. Pour the oil and seeds into the slather and mix together. Refrigerate and serve cold on toasted bread.